Finally, after a change in rules and regulations in China, Microsoft’s Xbox One will launch
in September. This move comes in after Chinese government’s decision in
January to lift its ban on the sale of foreign video game consoles. The ban had been in
place for 14 years, and has now been dismissed.
There is also a requirement for foreign companies to work with local organizations to
produce consoles within the Shanghai Free Trade Zone, for which Microsoft does not have
to worry as it is in partnership with the Chinese media company BesTV and this problem
gets sorted out there. Together, Microsoft and BesTV created EHome Entertainment in
September 2013, 49% of whose stake is with Microsoft and the rest 51% is with BesTV.
China will become the 27th region where Xbox One has been launched.